AASRP Research Grant
Call for 2022 AASRP Research Proposals

The American Association of Small Ruminant Practitioners announces the availability of funding to support clinical research in sheep, goats, or cervids. Grants may be up to $25,000, and more than one project may be funded. Proposals should be aimed at providing clinically relevant information that sheep, goat or cervid veterinarians can use in practice. Projects with potential for funding from corporate or industry sponsors are not likely to be prioritized.


Each proposal should include the title, a one-page description of the proposed study, a detailed experimental protocol (no more than two pages, which includes the contributions of each investigator), a budget (including justification for all expenses), and a list of the investigators with a brief (two-page maximum/investigator) biographical sketch of each investigator.

At least one of the investigators must be an AASRP member. Proposals will be ranked by the AASRP Research Committee for relevance to small ruminant practice. Top ranking proposals will then be reviewed by experts in the area of study, and final proposal selection will be up to the AASRP Board of Directors.


Salary replacement for faculty members, post-docs or graduate students, indirect costs, or scientific equipment will not be supported. In judging between proposals of similar merit, preference will be given to proposals from researchers who are starting their careers or from private practitioners, and proposals for which AASRP funds can serve as seed money to attract other grants.


Upon selection, the AASRP will release 80% of the project funds. The remaining 20% will be released after the following has been satisfied:

  1. The project is completed
  2. Results have been presented at an AASRP annual conference
  3. Evidence is received that the results have been submitted to a peer-reviewed journal for publication.

Proposals must be received by 5:00 pm (EST), January 7, 2022. Proposals must be submitted online.

Questions may be addressed to Virginia Fajt or Fred Gingrich.


Virginia Fajt
Chair, AASRP Research Grant

Applicants must:

  1. Download a template Competitive Research Word Document, and complete and save as PDF document. Name the PDF document yourname.PDF (ex. JohnSmith.PDF).
    The proposal shall include:
    • Title
    • Description of the Proposed Study (Maximum of one page)
    • Detailed Experimental Protocol (No more than two pages, which includes the contributions of each investigator)
    • Budget (Including justification for all expenses)
    • List of Investigators (Provide a brief (maximum of 2 pages) biographical sketch for each investigator)
  2. Complete the online application (Applications are now closed!) form. You will upload the PDF file within the application form.
  3. Evaluation criteria and scoring system.
  4. Notification: Candidates will be notified of the Committee's decision by April 30.